CBD, otherwise known as Cannabidiol is becoming increasingly popular treatment for people that can’t find relief using traditional medication. Questions like “How long does CBD Oil stay in your system” or “Can CBD show in drug test” are asked over and over again, and we will try to answer them in this article.
How long does CBD Oil stay in your system?
Typically, CBD oil will stay in your system for anything between 2 and 5 days. This range is, however, not the same for everyone. Depending on various factors, it can stay in your system for several weeks.
And although CBD itself is not a drug, many CBD products still contain trace amounts of THC, which can be a problem if someone has to undergo drug screenings or tests.
What determines how long CBD will be present in your system?
How long does CBD stay in your system is determined by many factors such as:
1. Human body
Not all bodies are alike. Every person has a different metabolism, body’s water content and body mass index. All of these factors can make a difference.
2. How often you are using the product
When used over longer periods of time, CBD and THC metabolites build up in your system and will take a longer period of time to clear.
3. Type of dosage
Dosage remains one of the most critical factors that determine how long will CBD be in your system. Effects of dosage are apparent – the more you use, the longer it will remain in your system. Vice versa, if you use smaller dosages, CBD will leave an average-sized person in shorter time frames.
4. How you are using CBD
This product can be taken as a dietary supplement, CBD vape oils, dried flowers, CBD creams, lotions, tablets, capsules, or edibles.
Suppose you use CBD as an edible on an empty stomach. In that case, it will be metabolized and eliminated more quickly than if your stomach is full.
Lotions and creams take longer to have an effect and also to get cleared by the system.
Does CBD show up during a drug test?
CBD itself is not a drug, and doesn’t show up on a drug test. But some of the CBD products contain trace amounts of THC (the core active ingredient in cannabis) – and this could well show up during a drug test.
Types of CBD products
The type of CBD products you use determines how much THC it will contain. There are three types of CBD products:
- CBD isolate – This option contains no THC or additional compounds of Cannabis Sativa, only CBD.
- Broad-Spectrum CBD – Contains CBD and other cannabinoids, but no THC. Besides cannabinoids, you can find other beneficial compounds such as terpenes and flavonoids.
- Full-spectrum CBD – These extracts contain not only CBD but all of the different compounds that occur naturally in the cannabis plant. This includes THC. If you’ve been using it recently, you might have a problem if you have applied for a job and a drug test is imminent.
For how long will Full Spectrum CBD product show up in a drug test?
CBD will typically remain present in your bloodstream for anything between two and five days, depending on frequency, dosage, and the other factors mentioned above.
Common methods of drug testing will, however, screen you for THC, not CBD. There are many different types of drug tests, and depending on the type of drug screening, results can vary.
Some lab tests have better method of drug screening that are able to pick up THC for a longer time than others. Generally speaking, however, if the CBD product you use contains THC, it should leave the bloodstream in around 5 hours.
There’s more to it than this, though: your body makes certain substances called THC metabolites from THC, and these can show up for a week or longer.
Can CBD/THC be detected in my hair, saliva, or urine?
- Hair – The THC metabolites in CBD can be picked up with a drug screening method from hair for a long as three months after use.
- Saliva – The THC metabolites mentioned above can be detected in your saliva for as long as 36 hours after you’ve last taken it.
- Urine – According to research carried out by the Mayo Clinic, THC metabolites present in many CBD products can be picked up from urine samples for 15 days in regular users.